Author Topic: My New Stainless Sidekick?  (Read 4669 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
My New Stainless Sidekick?
« on: January 26, 2007, 08:13:10 AM »
I just purchased a new Sidekick with a 24" stainless barrel with nickel receiver. Is there anyway to tell when this muzzleloader was manufactured? Funny thing is that the rifle was new in the box but was labled SPS-050. I noticed that the Sidekicks are now labled
SPS-056. When did this all change?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: My New Stainless Sidekick?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 08:14:55 AM »
The serial number production year list is in the Centerfire FAQs and Help sticky, it may apply to the Sidekick, dunno.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 08:23:45 AM »
quick the serial number is BP 8082xx does the BP stand for black powder or is the P means this was made in 2000? Did the sidekick originally come standard in 24" barrel length?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:33:50 AM »
Dunno, a call to H&R would help, I'm sure, their toll free number is in the FAQ also. ;) Please share whatcha find out, you're in untrodden territory here as far as I know!! :D

Thx,

Tim

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 10:02:50 AM »
A call to the factory indicated that mine was manufactured in 2004. Unlike the others (rifles and shotguns) the only way to tell when the muzzleloaders were manufactured, is to phone in and have the serial number entered into their computer. They made both lengths of barrel for the sidekick as well.

Btw, The company I purchased this from has two more left @ $149.95 if anyone is interested.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 10:04:08 AM »
Thanks for the follow up, appreciate it. ;)

Tim

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:05:32 AM »
quick, I appreciate your responce as well.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 07:45:28 PM »
I just purchased a new Sidekick with a 24" stainless barrel with nickel receiver. Is there anyway to tell when this muzzleloader was manufactured? Funny thing is that the rifle was new in the box but was labled SPS-050. I noticed that the Sidekicks are now labled
SPS-056. When did this all change?

carbineman,

The SPS-050 denotes a 24" barreled SS Sidekick, SPS-056 denotes a 26" barreled SS Sidekick. The BP is for the Sidekick frame, like you said they must just keep track of the numbers for year of manufacture. It would be nice to know the numbers for 2004, 2005, 2006. My 2003 Huntsman has the NT for the serial number, just like the rifle and shotgun frames.

Does yours have the 7/8" or 5/8" breech plug?
2004 was the Sidekicks first year and is probably the 7/8", I think it was 2005 when they went to the 5/8" plug. My 2003 Huntsman has the 7/8" plug.

Does yours have the Williams Fire-Sights? Or the old plastic ones?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 03:18:39 AM »
Busta wrote
carbineman,

<The SPS-050 denotes a 24" barreled SS Sidekick, SPS-056 denotes a 26" barreled SS Sidekick. The BP is for the Sidekick frame, like you said they must just keep track of the numbers for year of manufacture. It would be nice to know the numbers for 2004, 2005, 2006. My 2003 Huntsman has the NT for the serial number, just like the rifle and shotgun frames.

Does yours have the 7/8" or 5/8" breech plug?
2004 was the Sidekicks first year and is probably the 7/8", I think it was 2005 when they went to the 5/8" plug. My 2003 Huntsman has the 7/8" plug.

Does yours have the Williams Fire-Sights? Or the old plastic ones?>

My breech plug is 7/8. I can see why they went to the 5/8 as clearance to the standing breech is close when removing the plug. The sights are made of plastic as my magnet would not "stick" to the sights. Actually it stuck to the screws in the sights and the barrel and frame as well. Must be a plated steel on the barrel and frame or nickel as some would call it.

Do you have any experience with the veri-flame primer replacement set from PR that I looked at? Does this work with the NEF primer holders? Or should one just plan on getting the 25 acp replacement breech plug package as so many here have done?
I'm kinda, sorta, looking at buying some Dead Center saboted bullets from that company as well to hunt whitetail with. Seems like they have many choices. Any reccomendations on style or weight? Or should I just call the company. They did have a web article on the Sidekick and how the 200 grain 40 cal shot on target. Oh Well, I'd appreciate any info that you have. Thanks------------carbineman

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 05:57:31 AM »
carbineman,

The Williams Fire-Sights are anodized aluminum alloy, so your magnet will not stick to them either. They will have Williams stamped into the left side of the rear sight base. The reason I asked is because I would like one of the 24" barreled versions for my son. The plastic ones have a very long rear sightr ramp and are easy to tell they are plastic.

Some guys use the Veri-Flame, but you are still stuck with the factory plug, tool, primer carriers, and blowback. I have the .25 ACP plug, it has a hex head for easy removal with a socket, and almost blowback free. I get a very small amount of soot (little ring) on the standing breech at the back of the case. WARNING: Once you try the .25 ACP, you will be spoiled for life. I tried the new Win 777, Rem Cleanbore, and Win ML primers last fall, never again. Gave my 209 primers away, just too messy after being spoiled.

If you already have a means of priming/depriming at your disposal, all you need is a .25 ACP shell holder. $4 if ordered through R&P below.

Here is a U. S. distributor of the PR Bullets and accessories, same prices but might be closer for shipping, says most in 2-3 days. R&P has free shipping on accessories ordered with bullets and additional accessories after the first one. R&P also sells priming/depriming kits too.
http://www.bpbullets.com/

Precision Rifle Bullets.
http://www.prbullet.com/
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 06:22:35 AM »
The Williams Fire-Sights are anodized aluminum alloy, so your magnet will not stick to them either. They will have Williams stamped into the left side of the rear sight base. The reason I asked is because I would like one of the 24" barreled versions for my son. The plastic ones have a very long rear sightr ramp and are easy to tell they are plastic.

Some guys use the Veri-Flame, but you are still stuck with the factory plug, tool, primer carriers, and blowback. I have the .25 ACP plug, it has a hex head for easy removal with a socket, and almost blowback free. I get a very small amount of soot (little ring) on the standing breech at the back of the case. WARNING: Once you try the .25 ACP, you will be spoiled for life. I tried the new Win 777, Rem Cleanbore, and Win ML primers last fall, never again. Gave my 209 primers away, just too messy after being spoiled.

If you already have a means of priming/depriming at your disposal, all you need is a .25 ACP shell holder. $4 if ordered through R&P below.

Here is a U. S. distributor of the PR Bullets and accessories, same prices but might be closer for shipping, says most in 2-3 days. R&P has free shipping on accessories ordered with bullets and additional accessories after the first one. R&P also sells priming/depriming kits too.
http://www.bpbullets.com/

Precision Rifle Bullets.
http://www.prbullet.com/

Busta, upon further review, the side of the sight is indeed stamped Williams and is aluminum after slight tapping it with a small brass hammer I am set up to reload rifle with RCBS equipment so I'll probably go with the .25 acp set up.

If you call Richland Shooters in Richland PA at 717-866-4246 they had two more SS Sidekicks w/24" barrel in stock. They will have to check for you on the Williams sight. I might have just lucked out on getting this. Could be the others don't have the latest sights.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 06:35:42 AM »
Busta, When you deprime your acp brass, do you put the shellholder in your press, and use a universal decapping die or hit it with a pin punch. The reason I'm asking is that one would have to have the 25 acp dieset otherwise or use the manual punch with a homemade device to hold the shellholder.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 09:14:34 AM »
Busta, When you deprime your acp brass, do you put the shellholder in your press, and use a universal decapping die or hit it with a pin punch. The reason I'm asking is that one would have to have the 25 acp dieset otherwise or use the manual punch with a homemade device to hold the shellholder.

carbineman,

You can actually use any pistol depriming die, I think. My old LEE .44 cal deprimer works just fine since you dont need to re-size. I have a RCBS press, and use the LEE Auto-Prime II that mounts to the top of the press for priming and it works fine. The only disadvantage to my set-up is it isn't mobile like the hand primer and punch is, but I can prime up a bunch in very little time.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member