Author Topic: .35 Whelen  (Read 8136 times)

Offline 270Handiman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
.35 Whelen
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:08:23 PM »
Who has tried the .35 Whelan barrel on their Handi?  I've been eye-balling it on the barrel accessory page for a while now.  I'm probably going to get one just because I can't stand it any more, but I figured I'd ask you guys about it first.  Somebody tell me a story about yours.

Thanks, 270

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .35 Whelan
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:11:21 PM »
It's probably a non-issue, they've discontinued it from recent reports, I'd contact them and verify if they have any left.

Tim

As far as chambers are concerned, is the 35 Whelen chambering workable in the Handi Rifle and are they available?

Guess I shoulda mentioned it earlier, forgot,  but it would have if the factory would have done a little better job on the chambers, but they've been discontinued due to incompatibility with factory ammo apparently, most reported misfires due to too much headspace which was probably due to the mini shoulder of the whelen Rem factory ammo in combination with a sloppy chamber. Those that handload for the recent production 35 Whelens are able to make them work very well. The original RMEFs were excellent if you can find one, they also had a 26" barrel, mine shoots the 225gr TSX at 2900fps, the 22" does 2815fps with the same load of Rl15.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,100788.msg1098266994.html#msg1098266994

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Walks with a gimp

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 05:34:18 PM »
I called them yesterday and they said that they did discontinue them.  I bought a Handi in S&W 500 today ;D

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:35:15 PM »
Tim: I have one of those early .35 Whelen barrels.  First time I tried to shoot it did not go well.  Would shoot my handloads fine but would not shoot factory rounds.  Sent it back and they fixed it.  Has worked fine ever since.  Got my new ultra packaged up to send back for a .35 Whelen barrel.  Guess I need to call before I send it back.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 07:33:45 PM »
Gezz....discontinued another new(er) caliber :-\  I'm not even going into it  :-X

-Aaron

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 08:56:09 PM »
Gezz....discontinued another new(er) caliber :-\  I'm not even going into it  :-X

-Aaron

I know what you mean Arron :-X

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 03:06:05 AM »
Instead of recognizing a problem & fixing it, they decide to run. Very sad!!  :'(
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 04:00:02 AM »
Got my new ultra packaged up to send back for a .35 Whelen barrel.  Guess I need to call before I send it back.

Sourdough, I did the same thing with my limited Edition frame so switched it to a 450 Marlin barrel. Figured for $80 plus it was worth it to try that Hornady LE ammo then use the brass for handloads since my 45-70 has worked out so well. Might as well have both versions right!

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 05:26:53 AM »
glad I got my when the gettin' was good!  I really enjoy mine and it is a shooter.
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 12:52:31 PM »
Well, this explains why my dealer hasn't been able to find me one.  I am really starting to get frustrated with NEF, how hard would it be to fix the chamber, my guess is not very.  I guess it is easier to just drop it than to tighten up the quality control a little bit.  I really enjoy handi rifles but with their recent decision making processes I am starting to really wonder about NEF.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 01:03:33 PM »
Unfortunately, it's not NEF, it's Marlin that's calling the shots, and they're really missing the target as far as a bunch of us are concerned, even the most dyed in the wool Handiholics are getting disgusted with their poor product marketing decisons. :-\

Tim

Offline 270Handiman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 03:58:30 AM »
          To: Matt

Sorry but there are no 35 Whelens left they may reintroduce them at a later time no firm answer yet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 6:31 PM
To: hr1871@hr1871.com
Subject: .35 Whelan Barrel

Are there any .35 Whelan barrels left?  I would like to have one if they are still available.  I have heard that they may have been discontinued, so I thought I better ask before I sent my frame in for fitting.

Thanks,

Matt

Well, this is my answer from NEF.  None left.  Good call Quick!

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 04:10:00 AM »
Hold on a minute, take a breath.

I have not seen any firm clear info that HR has dropped the whelen because they dont know how or dont want to address the misfire issues.  It may be the case, but it is not known now.  Historically, they have run out of barrels for a particular chambering and not known when or if the next batch was to be obtained - recently the 25-06. And the website is updated about every year or so rendering it useless for late breaking news.

Does anyone know what they do when someone returned the barrel and it was "fixed".  Was the headspace too deep? Perhaps shave off the back of the barrel and refit. 

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 06:25:22 AM »

Look at how the e-mail was worded...
Sorry but there are no 35 Whelens left they may reintroduce them at a later time no firm answer yet

They said...re-introduced...and that is the key here...They re-introduced the Whelen as a 22" version of the 26" RMEF barrel...Just as they are re-introducing the 444 as a 22" barrel.....remember..I wouldn't hold my breath waiting..and I sure as hell won't try to figure out what they are doing anymore...It is the same old smoke & mirrors they have been playing all these years...and has gotten very tiresome to hold on hoping Marlin will do something good for us...instead we have seen them bungle two of the most sought after barrels NEF has ever produced...by doing it the cheapest way available...I know it is driving folks nuts here...Just think what it is doing to those fine folks at NEF who have to deal with it everyday...I truly feel sorry for them... ::)

Mac

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: .35 Whelen
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 07:15:09 AM »
OK, I talked to HR,

mentioned my whelen problem and asked if they have been hearing of the issue.  SHe said yes, said that engineering cliams it is an ammo problem.  I can send mine in and if there is nothing wrong with my barrel, they will replace it with another caliber.  There is no fix.  The caliber is currently stopped (not sure of the wording) but it is a result of this issue - that was clear. 

Offline kennyd

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »
Well that means that Gander trying to order a Whelen and waiting to see if one shows up won't work.  Guess the rest of the money set aside will go into something NOT NEF or Marlin.  Any truth in the rumor of S & W buying in?  And then are they buying a line to use or getting rid of competition for TC?  It may come that the older H & R's will become somewhat sought after.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »
Tim: I have one of those early .35 Whelen barrels.  First time I tried to shoot it did not go well.  Would shoot my handloads fine but would not shoot factory rounds.  Sent it back and they fixed it.  Has worked fine ever since.  Got my new ultra packaged up to send back for a .35 Whelen barrel.  Guess I need to call before I send it back.

Rog, I have one too, but have never used factory ammo in it, bought if unfired from Wally, so I don't know if it has the same problem or not. New factory RP brass is flush to the barrel face tho.

Tim

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 05:47:45 PM »
The vast majority of ammo I shoot is reloads, but I dang sure don't want a barrel that will not shoot factory ammo. That would be a joke & it makes no sense.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline bigchuckie

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 07:23:39 PM »
If anyone is interested I know where there is a brand new unfired Whelen
, if god didnt want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 08:02:21 PM »
If anyone is interested I know where there is a brand new unfired Whelen

If it's a 26" RMEF I'll take it...just tell me where it is ;)

Mac

Offline bigchuckie

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 08:09:59 PM »
If it was the RMEF  you would be really mad cause it woud be mine it is just a 22 inch Iam dying to find a RMef barrel  love this caliber I have a 7600 Remington and used to have an Encore in it as well.
, if god didnt want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 02:54:55 AM »
I'm very interested! please PM me the information....
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 04:54:50 AM »
I think it would be nice to know if someone could close and lock the gun on a  no-go gage.  Anyone with a new whelen have a x-06 class no go gage?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 06:08:41 AM »

Bajabill...There is a problem with the Remington brass...I know...I got hold of a bag of 50 and durn near every one of them is way off...I use the brass for case forming my 338-06 A-Square...I won't even bother with using it anymore...

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 06:15:06 AM »
I had the same problem with the RP Whelen brass that I got from Mac, but the box of 100 that I have is made right, at least every one that I checked was good, didnt check all of it yet tho, but will before I loaded it. :-\

Tim

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 07:32:49 AM »
I believe the brass is the problem.  I think that is HRs position too, but they have to convince everyone who has trouble that that is the case.  What I cant understand is why the perception that the previous attempt to make whelens was better for this issue. 

I agree that the single shot is not as forgiving since there is only one means to hold the cartridge. I wish I could get to the range and shoot my once fired rounds, then I will know for sure if I am going to keep this barrel or not.  I hope they work, because I like having a whelen.  However, I would never have 100% confidence using factory ammo even may years in the future. 

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 08:05:31 AM »
It doesn't help that, what 2 manufactures, are currently producing Whelen ammo.
 I believe Norma and Remington are the only ones if I am not mistaken....and Norma's stuff, while of excellent quality, is hard to come by and pretty expensive.

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »
  Could you use a kinetic bullet puller to gently "tap" out the bullets far enough to seat on the lands so that they would at least fire in the gun?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 08:31:03 AM »
I've done exactly that on some handloaded ammo that I decided to change the COL on after I loaded it all up, but it needs to be reseated to a consistent depth which would require reloading equipment, but that was with loads that started at start data. Loading hard into the lands is going to increase pressure by over 7kpsi according to Fred, with a factory load, that could be very dangerous. :o

Tim

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 07:35:14 PM »
  Sorry for the late responce (I work afternoons). My suggestion was to get the cartridges that wouldn't fire,, to fireform in the barrel. I first started reloading with a simple Lee hand loader in about '76 and it was a great way to get started. Looks like handloading the 35 Whelen is about the only way to go if you have one of the newer ones. :-\