Author Topic: Scout Scopes on a Handi Rifle  (Read 8230 times)

Offline graheim

• Trade Count: (0)
Scout Scopes on a Handi Rifle
« on: January 23, 2007, 02:23:00 AM »
Howdy.  This is my first post to the board.  I've come here frequently as a guest in the past to use the FAQs but I can't find much on this topic.

I'm thinking about getting a .243 handi rifle for deer.  It just seems like a great deer gun.  Quick pointing, easy to get through the brush, accurate, inexpensive etc. You know the virtues of a handi rifle or you wouldn't be here.

I'd like to mount a scout scope on the above rifle.  Has anyone had experience with this?  It looks like the rail that comes factory mounted on some rifles would be too far forward to accomodate a scout scope so some gunsmithing would be required.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Scout Scopes on a Handi Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:39:27 AM »
Yep. It's been done by several members. Maybe someone with a working search will provide links to the threads and photos that have been posted.
I've done several, all on old military rifles. Although it's not a Handi, here is my favorite. It is based on a Spanish FR-8, in 7.62 NATO. Also shoots 308 Winchester just fine.

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline graheim

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 04:11:09 AM »
The mil. surplus route is another option I've been considering.  The FR-8 does cry out to be made into a scout rifle.  I notice you removed the cleaning kit storage tube (I'm probably using the wrong name, but I mean the 'fake gas-tube'.) and replaced it with an brass endcap.  Very sharp looking.  Was that required because you had to remove the front sight?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:33:01 AM »
Will someone here please explain the purpose and advantage(s?) of a scout scope on a rifle? It looks unusual and I cannot understand the reason for it, I would think either a conventially mounted scope or a reciever peep would work just as well but there must be something I am missing since 2 or 3 have mentioned them here. Thanks for any info you can provide me, I would like to know the theory and reasoning behind them. I do believe a writer and gun enthusiast I respect, Jeff Cooper, had an interst in them at one time but they kind of petered out and the interest went away if I recall correctly. Thanks for your replies and thoughts on them. Also do you need special scopes or would any long eye relief or pistol scope work?....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 05:44:24 AM »

Will someone here please explain the purpose and advantage(s?) of a scout scope on a rifle?

MSP...It is for some...a means of very fast target acquisition with both eyes open...Similar to putting a red dot on a pistol...It's most often found on dangerous game guns...but has migrated to standard short rifles...(ala Jeff Copper idea of a scout rifle).. While I understand that some like it...I personally don't...I find it distracting to say the least when one is trying for precise shot placement...and you get glare in the scope which anyone using them will get at times..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 06:09:58 AM »
Thanks Mac....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline graheim

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 07:18:11 AM »
Will someone here please explain the purpose and advantage(s?) of a scout scope on a rifle?

I personally became interested in trying one out after reading this website.
http://www.chiefaj.com

Warning: This guy is good at shooting, not making websites.  It has a lot of good information, but is highly disorganized.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:11:06 AM »
In addition to quick sight acquisition when shooting,the "scout mount" provides a great way to mount a scope on a military surplus rifle without any modifications.You don't have to have the bolt bent to clear the scope nor modify the safety.You can quickly return the rifle to original configuration without destroying any of it's "collector" value.
I have two Mosins which I have these mounts on and like both of them very much.They look ungainly to some but after you shoot it some you'll come to really like it.It is really a "natural" feel to keep both eyes open if desired.
Ruger has gotten on the bandwagon in this respect with their new offering.I forget what it's called.
Do not make any decision to whether or not you like these until you have tried one.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline gmcdo

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 10:38:58 AM »
I have mounted a Burris 2.75 Scout scope on my .223 Handi stainless barrel without having to drill and tap. The eyepiece of the scope mounts flush with the eye end of the scope base and barrel, no need for a hammer spur. The measurement from the scope to my eye is 8 1/4", which is less than the published eye relief of 8.5" to 14", but I get no "ghosting" around the sight picture.

I like this "scout like" set up because it allows me to aim, yet see more of the big picture. My hobby is shooting in the direction of coyotes and I can see better, while aiming, a second coyote that might be another missed shot possibility. It is correct to shoot any scope with both eyes open but the scout scope setup really opens up the visual down range for me -- less tunnel vision feel.

I changed the NEF scope base that came with the rifle for the longer NEF Ultra base (same screw locations). Then, I purchased Weaver 1" Offset Rings to mount the scope. That's it, no drilling.

Wish I was able to provide a picture of this, it looks good, but I don't have the technology.    

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »
Mounting a long eye relief scope just ahead of the hammer isn't the same as a scout mount which puts the scope ocular bell near where barrel sights would be mounted, there are a bunch here that have shotgun scopes mounted just ahead of the hammer. The Ultra rail does make doing this easier tho. ;)

Tim

Handi Scout Mounted

Handi Shotgun Scoped

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 03:43:12 PM »
....replaced it with an brass endcap.... 
....Was that required because you had to remove the front sight?

Front sight came off with tube bracket. Forearm endcap is actually elkhorn and was needed to cover the tube hole in stock.

The concept and reasons for the "Scout Rifle" have been covered several times already on this forum. One thing that sometimes gets forgotten is the desire for the ability to use charger strips. Using a mil surp rifle allows this.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline graheim

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 07:52:20 AM »
So it sounds like mounting a true scout scope on a handi rifle would require drilling and tapping for a forward rail.  Hmmm....
Probably more than I want to do with my first handi rifle but I'll keep it open for future guns.  (I am not technically inclined, I had to look up  what drilling and tapping even was when I became interested in scopes.)

Thanks for all the info.