Author Topic: Is there a way to lighten the trigger pull of a Handi without taking it apart?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline MB2

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello, first time poster.  I've done some looking around and I still can't find any info on this subject.  I have a brand new .204 Handi and want to lighten the trigger a little bit.  Is there a way to do this without taking it apart?  I've heard talk about other guns using graphite powder or something and then dry firing it a few times? 
thanks for any info

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Welcome to GBO!! ML McPherson tells of a method in the Handi section of his book, "Accurizing the Factory Rifle, with the hammer in the fire position,  press forward on the hammer with about 20lbs force, pull the trigger, repeat several times. BUT....one person broke a piece in the trigger group doing that, so be aware of that possibility.

Trigger hone instructions are also in the FAQs.

I've also read of one person using the graphite method on RFC, but don't know anyone here that's tried it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DLFLY2000

• One Shot...One kill!
I used the graphite method and had very good results with it on my .223 Handi. All I did was cock the hammer and puff quite a bit of the graphite powder from the tube into and around the hammer opening. I then dry fired the rifle about 30-40 times. This resulted in a very light trigger, but also a very unsafe trigger. I could put forward force on the hammer and the hammer would fall. I seriously thought I had messed up my rifle. I took some Rem Oil aresol spay cleaner and hosed the action down from the hammer opening. This eliminated the unsafe hammer fall and left me with a nice trigger of about 3 lbs. I haven't put it on a scale but its as nice as the trigger job I had done on my Stevens 210. If you do this be sure to remove as much of the oil as you can. Take a air hose and blow the action out and use a handfull of Q-tips in the hammer opening to help clean up the excess oil. If you don't you will accumulate dirt and dust in the action, which is not a desirable thing to happen to your rifle.

NOTE: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!.....It worked for me but I cannot say what it will do for others. I just don't want you or anyone else to mess up there rifle or have an accident.

Good luck and Happy shooting
Dale
One Shot...One Kill,....Unless you can get them to line up alittle bit!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Maybe a better cleaner to use to wash out the graphite is one of the dry lubes like Hornady One shot or Elmer's Slide-all, it works very well on the ejector, may work good on the trigger group and won't attract dust. I wouldn't use brake cleaner or Gunk Out, they may attack the plastic trigger guard and or syn stock. :o

Tim

Offline GaryCrow

I remember reading once that H&R would lighten the pull weight if you were to send in your receiver.  My new buffalo classic 45-70 is about 8#, will they fix it for free?

Offline Jim Stacy

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Tim what you described used to be called a GI trigger job when it was applied to a 45 Auto.They would hook the hammer over a door facing pull against the door facing and pull the trigger and reapeat the process. Chancy , could break something.I understand thet NEF will do a free trigger job , if you buy an extra barrel to be fitted.That was true in fall of 2006 not sure about now . Had planned to call them tomorrow any way I'll ask and post what I find out.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
GaryCrow, I would've said yours qualified for a free trigger job if someone wasn't just charged $30 for one recently, dunno if they ordered a barrel at the time, but I'm pretty sure that if you do order a barrel and ask nicely that the trigger be lightened to 3½-4lbs, they would do that for free, but I can't be positive, wouldn't hurt to call and ask them, toll free number in the FAQs.

Also be aware that many, many folks here have done their own, first trigger job, it's not that hard if you prepare yourself by reading Perklo's and Raynor's instructions, in the FAQs too. ;)

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)

I've done the pull on the trigger and fire it...The trick it to this method is ...DON'T let go of the hammer...I found it much easier to remove the barrel and just have the receiver & butt stock in my lap...I'll do this while watching TV...It's kind of rough on the fingers...but after about doing it 50 times..you'll reduce the trigger pull weigh considerably,and remove most if not all of the creep in it as well...

Mac

I added the bold & the red...
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
This method does help, and it does smooth things out. But this is a easy way to break the transfer bar inside the receiver if you let the hammer repeatedly slam with the added force of your thumb.
I personally will let the hammer all the way down, but I use a piece of rolled up cloth as cushion between the hammer and the transfer bar.

-Aaron

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)

I'll say it again...Don't let go of the Hammer...I use 2 or 3 fingers when pulling the hammer...I pull hard and squeeze the trigger...but I don't let the hammer go...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...