Author Topic: Rifle Paint Job  (Read 11954 times)

Offline Georgian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Rifle Paint Job
« on: January 21, 2007, 08:35:08 AM »
Hey yall. I ordered a H&R Sportster the other day, and am thinking about doing a custom camo paint job on it when it comes in. I figured I'd post this here, because I figured more people would see it. Anyways, I noticed some of yall have some really sharp lookin camo rigs on the forums. Can any of yall give some tips for painting, type of paint to use, techniques, etc? I'd appreciate any replies.
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline flitz

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Rifle Paint Job
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 08:42:57 AM »
scuff up the stock.180 paper.apply good coat high build primer.sand lightly with 220 paper.
use tack cloth to wipe down.use krylon flat paint for top coats.you can seal with a flat
clear if you want.wear laytex gloves keeps oil off surfaces to be painted.if you mess up
wash off with laquer thinner.

good luck flitz
TO THE HUNT

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 08:47:42 AM »
I'd think twice about using laquer thinner on the synthetic stock, it will melt a lot of plastics. Krlyon Fusion works very good on the syn stocks from all reports.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 08:49:14 AM »
At one time or another, I remember seeing either on this forum or another, some great home paint jobs that members did. I also think I remember seeing a simple guide on how to do it....just wish I could find the link.

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 08:58:55 AM »
Krochus did green stocks with Fusion, but his pics are no longer good. :(

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,69066.msg422335.html#msg422335
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 09:02:45 AM »
I have painted a few rifles in my time , i will show you a step by step of a Marlin that i did awhile back .

1  The first thing i did was to wipe the whole thing down with rubbing alc. to de-grease it .

2 Then i taped off everything that i did not want to paint ( bolt , scope lens , ect )

3 Shot the whole thing in a good sandable primer .

4 Let dry for 4 hours .

5 Spray base coat , and let dry about 2 hours

6 While the base was drying i got on the comp. and found some pics of leafs to print , cut out for a templete .

7 After the base coat was dry , i held the leafs up to the rifle were i wanted to put the design and sprayed the next color .

And there you go !!

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 09:36:50 AM »
You have heard from an expierenced guy with that last post, Stimpy is the resident expert on this matter. He has probably painted more stocks and guns than anyone else on this fourm. If your real good and ask real politely he may post a few pictures of his brightly repainted stock sets, but if he does you better get your sunglasses on before you examine them to closely, they may just burn your retinas. One thing is for sure, Stimpy will never forget them at the range or lose them when he put's them down in the woods!!! ...<><.... ;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 09:46:43 AM »
Good job there. I know if I do decide to do that, I want to use flat, subdued colors. I dont like glossy, bold colors. I think flat olive, light OD green, sand/tan colors, and maybe some darker browns would be best for what I'm aiming for. I also noticed some people choose to use netting to wrap over the rifle while painting to give it a broken up look.

Offline Headspace

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 02:58:21 PM »
I'm no where near as expeienced as these guys but I used a Rustoleum base and then used textured paints to break up any glare. I wanted it to look like tree bark.
"knock’d the trotters from under him”  
                                   Davy Crocket

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 01:44:37 AM »
Stimpy, you certainly are a man not afraid to step outside of the box.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline DavOh

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 03:45:31 AM »
How well does the paint do on the blued barrel and steel parts??

Just seems a shame to paint a pretty blued barrel....  ;D
-Davoh

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 03:52:54 AM »
I, too, like the look of wood and blued.....but for some hunting applications, camo is a must.   

Don't want to hijack this thread, but  ::)  has anyone had a Handi or H&R/NEF dipped?   I'd like to see some pics of that!

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 04:56:23 AM »
Davoh i have a h&r223 that i painted and the paint stays on the barrel and reciver very well i use my rifle a lott in my truck and in a gun rack in my truck the blueing got to where it was wearing off so i just painted the barrel and reciver flat black i didnt do any camo job on mine and it works real well get a nick or a scratch in it just hit it with a little paint never new it was there i do to like the nice look of a blueing job but this was my throw around and beatup gun so it didnt hert the looks to me any i think it looks neat like this but i use about 3 coats or red primer let them all dry and like3to4 coats of the flat black so it takes a pretty go bump to put a nick in that thick of paint and all the moving parts or the gun work as good as new nver had trouble with the gun after its been painted and its been painted about 4 years now
1 shot 1 kill

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 08:08:11 AM »
Hey Georgian,

Check out some of the jobs done using Krylon Webbing paint.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB44&Number=1079460&page=1&fpart=all

I ordered some yesterday from joann.com (I think it is) and will be painting my 223 HB soon.  I have been thinking about this for 2 or 3 weeks now and have all the supplies, except the webbing paint.  I will be using the Krylon Camo paint, I found it at WalMart, as well as some of the webbing paint over the top.

I'll post pictures when done.

By the way, this is my first camo job, so I am nervous as heck.   ;D

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 09:45:36 AM »
J.Plate

I remember someone did a shotgun in Mossy Oak dip , just don't remember who . i'll see if i can find it .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline twocan

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 185 pounder
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 10:21:36 AM »
I once seen a stock that had a camo T-shirt glued to it. It was done very well, but i would hate to strip it off.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 11:27:17 AM »
J.Plate

Found it , heres the link , only took 35 pages , i started in the last one and worked to the front .  ;D

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,81251.0.html
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline DavOh

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 03:43:25 PM »
I, too, like the look of wood and blued.....but for some hunting applications, camo is a must.   

from what I understand turkey are different, but as far as the vast majority of game, especially large game, if you're close enough for camo to matter, you might as well not be using a rifle....
-Davoh

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 05:40:56 AM »

from what I understand turkey are different, but as far as the vast majority of game, especially large game, if you're close enough for camo to matter, you might as well not be using a rifle....

That's basically why I said "some".   Turkeys are a moot point for me though....can't use a rifle in NY.   I'm basically referring to hunting in wide open country or some varmints.   You are right though, concealment isn't that key when your taking 200-300 yard shots!!

Stimpy, thanks for the pics.  I asked because my cousin is an employee at the shop very near to my house that is one of the biggest producers of dipped guns, bows, and various other hunting/shooting equipment. 

Offline gould

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 06:55:05 AM »
Does anyone have a link to the place that did the shotgun? I would really like to do this with one of mine looked great.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 07:00:23 AM »
gould

Here you go .

http://www.camoent.com/

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline gould

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 07:05:21 AM »
Thanks stimpylu32.

Offline Q

• Avid Poster
  • Make every shot count, because bullets cost $ ;-)
    • QsARTWRX.com
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 07:52:30 AM »
I've painted rifles for people in the past using the krylon camo paints from ACE Hardware. The UV spectrum will keep the game from seeing you as well as other hunters. If interested I can break down the steps for you. The benefit to this is no rust and less time cleaning it. An Airbrush will make it better to apply.
Q

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 08:48:49 PM »
Make sure any where you want paint to stick is clean and oil free.

Rustoleum, Krylon camo, what ever is cheap and the color I want. Break off a limb with some leaves from what ever is close by and start painting.

Before.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/JackPatrickRyan/Hunt/17547a223Handi2052.jpg

After. That's the same gun laying down on the ground.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/JackPatrickRyan/Rim%20Fire/17547a_2321.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/JackPatrickRyan/Hunt/17547a_beavers2332.jpg

This is a 243 Savage with one of those plastic stocks I did the same way.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/JackPatrickRyan/Hunt/17547a243Savage2049.jpg

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 01:45:51 AM »
Anyone ever have a barrel or receiver powder coated?  How did it turn out?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Q

• Avid Poster
  • Make every shot count, because bullets cost $ ;-)
    • QsARTWRX.com
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 08:26:30 AM »
I've seen powder coating on a shotgun. It vents the heat well as long as its flat based. He went with one color to keep the rust down. I prefer multiple shades and colors you just have to watch where you set it down when you take a leak. 
Q

Offline Enios

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 12:12:54 PM »
Rustolem flat and krylon matt clear

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  If it breaks make it better next time.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »
Very nice, was that on wood or synthetic?  BTW, with a scope like that, are you the one who discovered the new planet? ;D   DP.
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »
I suggest looking into duracoat...It goes on thinner and its alot tougher and its made for firearms

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 07:25:39 PM »
I just did an old Savage bolt .22 that I made into a scout rifle.  I took everything apart and painted all the parts seperate.  Some were flat black and the Stock, Scope, Scope rings, and the knurled end of the mag tube were Olive Drab.  All the rest was Flat Krylon black.  I did two coats on everything and waited a weekend to reassemble.  Wanted the paint to be fully dry before I got finger prints in it.  Other than a couple of runs on the stock and the scope that I should sand out it looks pretty good.  If you want to put a pattern on the gun there are Camo kits available from Cabela's that have the paint and patterns but are for john boats so you could do almost every rifle you own and still have some paint left over.