Author Topic: Barrel Fitting Fixture  (Read 5564 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Barrel Fitting Fixture
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:43:51 PM »
Ever since I dd my first barrel fitting I've been trying to think of a more precise but economical method of maintaining a true cut on the underlug. A few days ago, I got an idea to use a chainsaw sharpening tool to keep the a file in alignment in both axes, the next issue was finding a file with the right diameter. I already had the sharpening tool, so I went to the local tool store hoping to find a chain saw file that was .375", but no such thing exists, but I found a tapered round file that had a 4" straight section of .372" that should work well enough since the amount of "slop" in the mechanism, while slight, will probably create a cut that is slight larger than the file diameter, but in any event, should be much more precise than doing it by hand. I removed the adjustable nylon piece and replaced it with a piece of 1/8" aluminum angle and epoxied it so to hold the file in perfect alignment with the pivot. I used the square end and top of the underlug to make sure the file was square to the barrel, as soon as the epoxy cures, I have a barrel to test it on and see if it works as good as it seems to appear at this point. I thought it very lucky that the spread of the bottom of the fixture was just .009" wider than the width of the underlug!! A piece of .009" feeler gauge blade used as a shim and a C-clamp used to clamp the fixture in position on the underlug worked well.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Barrel Fitting Fixture
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 04:29:37 PM »
Damn, Tim, I wish I had one of those last week. I spent about an hour with a .370 rod and 320 paper dialing in a 28" B/C barrel.

Good looking fixture!

Joe
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 04:34:19 PM »
quick what kinda opoxy do u use for this is this what u guys do that buy barrels else where and not from the h&r program i would like to buy a barrel for my frame and see if i can get it to fit if i had the stuff to get it set up for the  notch to be cut out i have a machine shop that i think could do the rest for me
1 shot 1 kill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 04:54:10 PM »
Thanks Joe, if it works as good as it looks, I'll be happy!  ;)

Backstrap, please see the barrel fitting info in the FAQs and Help sticky. Buying used barrels is routine here, many fit with no problems, specially if you have multiple frames to try them on, that's one of the advantages of having more than one frame, but a lot of barrels still need to be fitted, some are loose and need to be shimmed, some are too tight and some metal needs to be removed to allow complete lock up with no gap tween barrel and standing breech. Many only need the latch shelf honed a bit to allow good latch engagement which is checked after the barrel fits the frame good and appears to lock up.

Ideally changing the underlug pivot depth would be done on some sort of milling machine by a smith, but not many of us have that option. You can see what H&R uses in the factory tour video in the FAQs.

Tim

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 05:43:31 PM »
Necessity IS the mother of invention.  Nice going.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 10:17:54 AM »
hoping to find a chain saw file that was .375", but no such thing exists

If you can find Nicholson files, they make a 3/8"x8" straight (not tapered) chain saw file.  (For BIG chainsaws)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 10:33:46 AM »
The 3/8 they refer to is the pitch, largest diameter is 5/16". I've done exhaustive internet searches and had MCK tool  go thru all of their catalogs, to the best of my and their knowledge, there is no 3/8" diameter chainsaw file. :'(

Tim

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/nicholson_files/index.cfm

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 11:08:55 AM »
Looks good Tim, I like it.
I might have to swipe the plans and make myself one of those ;)

-Aaron

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 11:17:32 AM »
The 3/8 they refer to is the pitch, largest diameter is 5/16". I've done exhaustive internet searches and had MCK tool  go thru all of their catalogs, to the best of my and their knowledge, there is no 3/8" diameter chainsaw file. :'(

Sorry its not on their website, but it does exist.
I have one.  "Nicholson #186" is stamped near the handle.  It measures a consistant .374 in my dial caliper and the working length is just over 8".  I don't know what kind of chainsaw it is for, but it does have the smooth end for clamping in a fixture.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 12:02:49 PM »
Maybe they don't make it any more, the old 2-man Molls had larger teeth on the huge commerical chain saws of the 40s and 50s. If you can find a source for the 186, I'd order one in a heart beat!!

Tim

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 03:51:27 PM »
Tim, J & L industrial supply has a Nicholson 10" X 3/8" round for about 5 bucks, available in Bastard, 2nd cut or smooth.

# 24764J

http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/jlindustrial/index.aspx?storeid=1038424&circularid=7228&jlpass=1646&loggedin=false&itemcount=0&jsessionid=hch3yjiaktjzrlaubiwsfevmcqfcyiv0&pagenumber=1668

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 04:09:56 PM »
Thanks smokinjoe5150, I may just get a couple of those for myself for Christmas!!! What are the 2nd cut and smooth like? I take it they are progressively smoother than a bastard file?....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 04:16:40 PM »
Yep, they're progressively finer.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 04:32:04 PM »
Joe,

That's probably what I have already, it's tapered,  probably has part of it straight just like the one I got,  but thanks. That's all I've found in the better part of about 4 hours searching, plus an hour at the tool store!

This file seems to work pretty good, I cut a barrel pivot today with it, after I was done and satisfied with the fit, I measured with my digital caliper from the bottom of the pivot on each side to the latch shelf notch and got 2.425" and 2.426" which I thought was about as close as I could ask for considering my non-technical method!!

Tim

Offline deerjackie

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 04:51:57 AM »
www.grainger.com has .375 files item nu 1aka6.
WHATS THAT SMELL?                                                                                                  USS FORRESTAL CV-59  1983-1987 r div ht2

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 05:49:42 AM »
Good luck with that, I've order many ".375" files, they're ball park close, good enough for chain saws, but not .375", always undersized or too big.  :'(

Tim

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 07:21:20 AM »
I just sent Blaze a money order for his superlight 223 barrel and I hope it doesn't fit so I can fit it to my frame. (Grin).  I have access to a milling machine and a variety of good sharp 2,3 and 4 flute .375 mills.  With my luck I'll end up shimming but that will be ok too.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.