Author Topic: H&R Extractor (new type?) schematic?  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
H&R Extractor (new type?) schematic?
« on: December 13, 2006, 05:53:48 AM »
Does anyone have the latest schematic for the (I assume) new type Extractor system used on H&R barrels?  The one I'm referring to has a curved, leaf type spring rather than the captured coil spring...I took mine apart and damn if I can't figure out how to reassemble it so it'll work right. This was on a new 7mm-08 barrel str8 from H&R...

Dave "tackleberry" Berry
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R Extractor (new type?) schematic?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 06:00:49 AM »
Sorry, but I've haven't seen one. The fear of  ending up in your dilemma is why I haven't taken mine apart yet to see if it could be converted to an ejector!  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tuxdad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 06:13:35 AM »
This is the first I've heard about an ejector of some sort for H&R's .. Someone wanna clue me in ?? Will it help with sticking cases ?? I've had my share with my 308...

Tux

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
    • mil
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 06:18:14 AM »
It's not set up to be an ejector...when a ejector barrel is uninstalled the extractor sticks out..this one did not, and I assume because it was not an ejector but maybe one of the newer extractor only setups...this one wouldnt do either and thats why I took it apart, cause it wasnt  working like either then realised that it wasnt anything like the ones on my other three barrels.

David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
OLE MISS graduate

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 06:34:59 AM »

I haven't taken mine apart yet either..but from what I can see..it looks like the flat spring will have to be positioned at it's highest..just where the slope comes down..which is towards the reciever end..and the small push pin hold this in place..Post a picture of what the flat spring steel piece looks like..I can't tell if there are any detent or lips on it..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
    • mil
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 07:02:19 AM »
can you post a pic of what yours looks like assembled? from side view and bottom view?  I will post pics of individual parts later this afternoon when i have access to the camera....
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
OLE MISS graduate

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 07:12:10 AM »
Dave, Here's a bottom view I posted a week ago. I was hoping this late model extractor was in improvement over the early model posted in the FAQ with the staked set screw, but if you're having problems with yours, that's not a good sign.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:32:51 AM »
Here's a couple new pics..

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
    • mil
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 01:44:49 PM »
Ok, thanks to your photos, I was able to reassemble things and make it work properly.  I will post the photos here to show the assembly relationship of the parts. Necessarily they are shown upside down with reference to the barrel. But that also is the easiest way to go about reassembling things. Once you see the relationship, you'll understand. The leaf spring has a lip on it that matches the rear most angle on the extractor. When assembling place the spring on the cut out section of the extractor, so that the lip married up witht the angle. Slide both extractor and spring into the lug extractor recess together.  One they are in, install the first pin (nearest the chamber end of the lug ) by driving it into the hole. This pin holds the extractor/spring assembly into the lug.  Next , Orient the Extractor "latch" (thats what I'm calling it, until H&R issues a exploded drwing with its proper name) so that it matches the photo. the hook part of the latch will push on the extractor. Install the small pin to hold the latch inplace. Finally install the large pin into the latch. Ensure that all small pins are below surface or flush so they do not rub. The large Pin should be equally distributed on both side of the lug.  By the way, I polished up my extractor to remove tool marks and then put a light coat of gun grease on it before installation.  See the photos!!  thanks for the help on this, all, I hope you do figure out a way to change this into a ejector, it is difficult to grab Rimless cartridges like the 7mm-08...my 45-70 and 30-30 are not really a problem.   
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
OLE MISS graduate

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 02:01:52 PM »
Thanks Dave, your instruction is now part of the FAQ, we'll add to it as we learn more about it and IF we can make an ejector out of it. We appreciate your willingness to jump in with both feet!! :D

Thanks,

Tim

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
    • mil
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 03:51:50 PM »
The curved leaf spring apparently does nothing more than to keep the ejector from slopping around in the lug recess.  Closing the barrell forces the extractor to slide back in the recess., It opens with a simple push from the Latch, when the barrel is opened.

As an extractor, this was a very simple engineering solution, although H&R could have done the same thing we all did to convert Ejectors to extractors (with a simple machining step) thus using parts already available to them, and enabling those who prefer to to be able to convert their extractor back to ejector simply by replacing the extractor bar. This solution does save parts though, from about 5 major parts down to 3.

A much stronger push could snap the extractor open and cause it to sling the brass. Perhaps the latch needs to be "sprung" with some tension so it snaps at the extractor when the barrel is opened rather than just a push. Just thoughts.....

Dave
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
OLE MISS graduate