Author Topic: Recoil pad for 45/70 (Tim)  (Read 1130 times)

Offline jack19512

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Recoil pad for 45/70 (Tim)
« on: December 08, 2006, 06:59:23 PM »
I started this new thread because I didn't want to hijack the other guys thread.  I found the recoil pad at Midway and I read the reviews.  Several stated they had difficulty getting the grind to fit pad to look even.  Did you have this problem and what procedure did you use to cut your stock?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Recoil pad for 45/70 (Tim)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 07:18:50 PM »
I used to just grind the pads on a bench grinder, but I broke down and bought a combination disk/belt sander at Sears on sale for $100 for grinding the pads and other stuff, always wanted one, just follow the instructions. To cut the stock off, wrap it with masking tape, mark it, at the right length, and run it thru a table saw with a fine blade. Their instructions link doesn't work, but each Limbsaver comes with instructions, don't remember if there was anything else on the web site, but you can email them and they'll probably send you the .pdf instrucion they used to have available that isn't working now.

Tim

http://www.limbsaver.com/pdfs/installation/GTF-Inside.pdf
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jack19512

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 07:28:39 PM »
I ordered the pad, I may have to call on you in the future if you don't mind if I have any questions.  :)  I can do a lot of things but when it comes to these kind of things I get a little nervous.  I have my reasons.   >:(  I have a disc-belt sander like you mentioned and a expensive table saw.  Once I make that cut theres no going back.   :o

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 07:38:18 PM »
Measure twice, cut once!!! Go slow on the sanding/grinding, mine aren't perfect, but I'm happy with the results, the sander does a much nicer job that the grinder! :D I also put a coat of Kick Eez Slick Eez on the pads to get rid of the stickiness, they really grab your clothing when you bring the rifle up to your shoulder.

Tim

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00206101SE
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 03:46:46 AM »
Jack19512, never say ther's no going back. When my son was just starting out shooting,I cut the stock on his Pardner shotgun so it would fit him. I set the cut off piece aside and kept it. When he grew some,I retrieved the peice , screwed and glued it back into place,did a little sanding ,added some stain and it was just like new,almost. Now he is into the newer semi autos and the pardner has returned to me,still going strong after 15 yrs.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"