Author Topic: Help , My handi .223 wont eject  (Read 5383 times)

Offline caprocker

• Trade Count: (0)
Help , My handi .223 wont eject
« on: November 15, 2006, 08:11:11 AM »
I am sure that this topic has been discussed on here before but , hey I'm new here....I was referred to this website for help with this problem by a guy on another website..The brass wont eject..I have to manually eject the brass myself while shooting..I have kept the rifle clean as a whistle..Using hot loads is not an option either..Any suggestion on how to remedy this without having to go to the factory would be greatly appreciated. I would like to be able to enjoy this rifle during the fall months without having to wait on it...Thanks a bunch ....cap
I've got a long list of real good reasons for all the things I've done.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Help , My handi .223 wont eject
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 08:36:43 AM »
Welcome to GBO! Basics for FTE, too hot hand loads, Milsurp, dirty or oily chamber or ammo will all cause stuck cases. Clean, dry chamber and ammo is paramount. Next is polishing of the chamber which is standard procedure for any ejector equiped barrel, can be done with a patch wrapped bore mop chucked in a drill, use flitz, JB bore compound or any fine metal polish, just polish it a couple minutes changing the patch and adding polish frequently. You can also use a fired case with a screw stud stuck in the flash hole and chucked in a drill.

Ejector tuning may be required, R&R the ejector using the ejector conversion info in the FAQ and Help sticky, place a BB ahead of the ejector spring to increase ejector pressure, polish the ejector and housing before reassembly, use a dri-lube like Hornady One shot or Elmer's Slide-All.

Another option to deal with those rifles that stick an occasional case just when you thought you had the problem fixed is to cut a notch just big enough for the tip of a pocket knife blade to flick the shell out. There are pics at the bottom of the page at Fred's link below. A dremel burr will do the job very easily.

If you still have stuck brass, there could be a serious issue with the chamber that only a trip to H&R will cure, but I've not had a problem like that with any of my 30+ barrels.

Tim

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/hrultrawp.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline caprocker

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:02:23 AM »
Thanks for the great info Tim...I am really new to the NEF handi rifle...can I interchange barrels?? It seems like a really interesting deal to me.. I have shot a winchester model 70 for 23 years and this is my first single shot...I am going to gather the stuff that you suggested and go to work on .223 this weekend..i love its accuracy and all around convenience..It will really help if i can interchange barrels also..I would like to get a little larger load to go with what i have...thanks , cap

Offline fishinguy

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 05:24:17 AM »
yes you can interchange barrels if you have the SB-2 reciever.  If you read the FAQ a member wrote up instructions how to properly "fit" the barrel to the reciever.  There is a 12ga ultra slug barrel in the H&R classifieds here on graybeard.  Ebay currently has a few shotgun barrels as well as a 243. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 06:27:46 AM »
Barrels may or may not fit, they aren't a one size fits all. Having multiple frames almost insures that a used barrel will fit one of em. As fishinguy said, rifle barrels can only be used on the SB2 rifle frame with a few exceptions, shotgun or muzzleloader barrels can be used on any frame except the 10ga or 12ga slug gun frames which have their own barrels due the size of the frame. The best way to get another barrel or 3 is to send you frame in to H&R and have em fitted, barrel costs are listed on their web site, they charge $15 fittng for each barrel and $10 shipping for each order. They'll also do a free trigger job if yours is over their threshold weight which is right around 5lbs.

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

Offline caprocker

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 09:05:44 AM »
Great stuff guys...ok how will I know if my frame is an sb2 or whatever is needed in order to interchange...in other words , where would i look for that model number etc....thanks guys..this is information i would have absolutely no access to where I live without having to drive 35 miles into a bigger city and then talk to a complete arrogant @$$ behind a counter somewhere...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »
You can compare the frame to the pics in the FAQ and Help sticky and also learn when your frame was made from info there too, but the only sure way of knowing what can be fitted to it, is to call H&R CS and give them the serial number, they'll tell you what barrels can be fitted. Their toll free number is in the FAQ also. There have been folks on here that were told they had an SB2 frame by whomever they bought it from, only to find out they had an SB1 when they checked with H&R.

Tim