Author Topic: Handi Rifles - a few Questions  (Read 4906 times)

Offline R Cubed

• Trade Count: (0)
Handi Rifles - a few Questions
« on: October 08, 2006, 09:54:51 AM »
Greetings - I am new to NEF Handi Rifles and this Forum. I picked up a gently used one from my favorite store on Firday with a Simmons 3-9x32 scope on Weaver rings. It is chambered for .30/06.  I sent a letter off to NEF requesting an Owners Manual. Untill I receive it will you enlightend me as to a few of the finer points of these rifles? Can it be dry fired?  The serial number begins NJ32xxx. Can I find out when it was manufactured? This riflles looks like it will be fun to shoot and plink with - I reload and would like to know what you folks reload for a .30/06.

I look forward to spending time on the forums here...

Thanks,
Old Man - No Teeth No Money

Offline Critter

• Contributor
Re: Handi Rifles - a few Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:00:02 AM »
Well don't I feel like an idiot. :-[
Learn something new everyday.

Don't beat yourself up, the FAQ was a little vague on that detail, I added a line that will help.

Thx,

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 10:40:42 AM »
Welcome to GBO!! Critter's post has incorrect info, the first letter N signifiies NEF, H would be H&R, the second letter denotes year of mfr, J = 1995, anything older than N or 1999, can't be fitted with any high pressure barrels if you ever decide on that route. Don't be frustrated that they won't fit other high pressure barrels to a frame that already has a high pressure barrel on it, that's just the way they run their show. ???

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:57:08 AM »
My avitar on left shows a 30-06  with the Choate stock (pro's and con's with the stock) that used a Sierra 220 gr RN to drop the donut blob showing. I have loaded Nosler 200 gr Partition also for the NEF and dropped one deer with it. I was able to load up to max loads per Sierra and Noslers manuals without any problems although the Sierra 220 gr have a good kick to them.

For heavy hunting loads I was a staunch believer in the Nosler 200 gr in all my 30-06's until the last few years (sorry Nosler). I switched to Sierra. Jury still out on Sierra until I harvest another half dozen game animals.

Still looking for the right scope. Will be using an Aimpoint this fall?

So I say load up to max in proper steps looking for signs of pressure if you like the heavy bullets like me.

I did try a half dozen various 150gr .30 cal factory and reloads I had lying about hoping to find one the NEF really liked but no go.

NEF in 30-06 cal with Choate stock

So the Sierra 220 gr loaded to max using IMR4350 powder per whatever the Sierra manual says is fine for me now.
I'm not an expert on firing pins and I do dry fire but only rarely. I don't think it's good for them. 
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline R Cubed

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 01:25:55 PM »
Is there website where I can download an Owners Manual?

Offline Coastwatcher

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 01:45:20 PM »
The manual I have says that they should not be dry fired.   I will scan it and e.mail it to you.   Its only a single 8-1/2 by 14 sheet, both sides.
My prayers are always answered,  sometimes the answer is no...........

Offline R Cubed

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 02:04:18 PM »
Posted by: Coastwatcher 
Insert Quote
The manual I have says that they should not be dry fired.   I will scan it and e.mail it to you.   Its only a single 8-1/2 by 14 sheet, both sides.

That would be kind of you - Thank you very much.

Rick

Offline Coastwatcher

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 02:21:28 PM »
On its way.  Good Luck.
My prayers are always answered,  sometimes the answer is no...........

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 03:33:42 PM »
As a general rule I do not dry fire any firearm I always use 'snap caps' or a spent shell at the very least. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline R Cubed

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 05:36:50 PM »
Coastwatcher - Email received and converted to Word document for printing. Thank you! Rick

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 07:17:58 PM »
Dry firing can lead to a broken transfer bar...bad news.
Buy a snap cap or make your own using a once fired brass and pop the spent primer out and put a rubber eraser trimmed in it's place...wish I could claim this idea, as it's a very good one, but I found it on the net...I believe on the reloaders bench.
Anyway a cheap alternative, and very usefull too.
-Aaron

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 01:16:46 AM »
Dry firing can lead to a broken transfer bar...bad news.
Buy a snap cap or make your own using a once fired brass and pop the spent primer out and put a rubber eraser trimmed in it's place...wish I could claim this idea, as it's a very good one, but I found it on the net...I believe on the re-loaders bench.
Anyway a cheap alternative, and very useful too.
-Aaron

Aaron,
 Want cheap snap caps? Try what I do, take a case for the caliber you need a cap for. re-size it and DRILL the primer pocket with a 1/4" drill bit. Now TAP it 1/4-20, its brass, it will be EASY!! Now go to the hardware/Home Depot/Lowes/ Tru-value what ever and buy a couple 1/4-20 NYLON screws. Screw it in the case and cut off with a razor, flush with the case head. WALLA!! You just made a snap cap!!  Cheap and easy!!

I make one for every Handi I own!! Good rainy day project.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 07:30:36 AM »
cw,thats a great tip thanks for posting it!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 08:58:53 AM »
That is another interesting way to make a snap cap I never thought of. I always appreciate info like this.
Thanks.

Offline R Cubed

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 01:28:22 PM »
I like the snap cap suggestion - Cool Beans!

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 02:32:57 PM »
I like those ideas for a snap cap. I was gonna try the one with the nylon screw but couldn't find any screws locally, next store is 30 miles away and it's snowing.... so I thought why not put the two together, so I drilled my brass case and just inserted a rubber eraser in it, it's 1/4" in diameter, works great.  thanks for the hints..... Larry
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline rfd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
    • Trad Gang
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:37 AM »
here's my take on 45-70 snap caps ...

i drilled out a case with a 1/4" drill, cleaned up the resulting brass burrs with a file, took a 1/4" nylon screw and lopped off its head, sanded down a 1/4" nylon nut round so that it would fit inside the case (two nylon nuts locked together on a screw, chucked in a drill and run over a moving sanding station belt rounds 'em both off instantly - but sanding by hand works just a well only lots slower), put the nut on the screw and adjusted it so that when one end of the screw is inserted into the case that end pokes through the primer hole and sits flush with the head.  a few drops of thin cyanoacrylate super glue locks down the nut from moving.  i had thoughts of using a spring around the other side of the screw and make it long enuf so that when a bullet head is seated the spring would add "bounce" to the struck "primer" ... but instead i opted for some rubber tubing used for fishing lures, cut longer than the case and slipped over the end of the screw, then doubled over and stuffed back into the case.  just doing this, without crimping on a bullet, gives a good yielding surface for a firing pin strike and will allow easy access to both the rubber and nylon screw. 

NRA Life Member ~ Molon Labe

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 10:07:16 AM »
Good idea, thanks!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tcoggins

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
I needed a bunch of snap caps for 38 special for some training, so i filled the primer pockets with hot glue, trimmed it flush after cooling, then seated bullets.  Cheaper than buying them ( I needed 18 of them).  There are probably a million different variations.

Best of luck with your new rifle.

Tim