Author Topic: Deadeye47 or others, question on your 307  (Read 885 times)

Offline Chainsaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Deadeye47 or others, question on your 307
« on: December 10, 2004, 01:39:14 PM »
Deadeye47, I admired the pics of your collection.
Some years back I traded in my .308 Ultra because of a stuck spent case problem you mentioned in the "pics" thread.

I have kept my 2 30-30's and enjoy using them a great deal. I am lefthanded and these little rifles fit me very well. I have both fitted with  Synthetic stocks and they see some rough use with being transported on the ATV and such.

I use Barnes 130 gr.X and 140 gr.X  bullets and achieve 2600+ fps and 2575 fps respectively in these rifles. I had always wanted to go a little faster in velocity but have only looked into converting the NEF made in 1994 to the 30 GNR cartridge that Gary Reeder from Flagstaff Az. promotes on his website. He uses this as a single shot pistol cartridge and no rifle data has been developed as of yet. I would be the pioneer so to speak.

To go to a 307 I would need to get a .308 barrel and then.............???? Do I need an extractor from the 30-30 or does the factory offering then eject the case? Do you now have any extraction problems? It would seem that the quarter moon extractor from the 30-30 would also work maybe even better? What kind of velocities are you getting with this rifle? How much money would one expect to tie up in the equation?  Lots of questions I know, but any help you could give me would be appreciated. I would want this for hunting and would use the 22" barrel. Thanks.............Chainsaw

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
Deadeye47 or others, question on your 307
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 01:47:21 AM »
Thanks Chainsaw.... To change from the 308 cal to the 307 all that is done is a rim recess cut into the cahmber face. I do not know if he changed out the extractor and replaced it from another caliber...it now has a straight edge to it though rather than the rounded type. When loading it the edge fits in the side of the case and there is no more extraction problem.... Case dim's are identical between the two cartriges with the exception that the 307 has a rim... I have no idea what he would charge to just cut a rim in a barrel.Not much I would imagine.  :D      P.S. I have not worked up a really good load for this rifle yet...too many irons in the fire..hope to soon though. I don't know what the current MV is either as I've never crono'd it...sorry.....
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05